Friday, March 27, 2015

Review: THE DESIGNED by Kate Tailor

Title: The Designed
Series: The Designed, #1
Author: Kate Tailor
Genre: science fiction
Length: 202 pages

Rating: 4 stars
Geek rating: 4/5

I really enjoyed this book. It appealed wonderfully to my inner science geek. The entire concept of Lucidin—a drug produced naturally by humans—is just so cool. And then there are all kinds of twists on how Lucidin works that make the idea endless. The author has done an excellent job of making Lucidin sound real, and as science fiction often does for me, it got me thinking about how the world would change if we discovered this drug was real. *shudder*

Raleigh is a great main character. Often, I find myself annoyed with female protagonists between the ages of fifteen and twenty. That’s not the case here. Raleigh thinks for herself and, for the most part, makes good, well-informed decisions. There were a few points where I thought she made up her mind too quickly, such as when deciding to go with Rho and his team, but generally, she shows herself to be intelligent and competent.

Rho is also a really interesting character. Really, all of the Designed are interesting. They’re origin story really makes me want to know all their backstories and, even more, how they became so different from one another. I can’t decide how I feel about the first chapter from Rho’s perspective. On the one hand, I love that glimpse into the danger of the Lucidin world. On the other, it kind of gave away where Raleigh’s story was going, and thus, Raleigh’s first few chapters read a little slow for me as they caught up to what I already knew from Rho’s chapter.

All in all, I would definitely read more from this author. The Designed is a great story full of fascinating science, thrill, adventure, and the beginnings of romance. I hope there is a sequel to assuage my curiosity about where the characters and the Lucidin plot are going.

~~~

Have an awesome weekend.

Geek on,
Deanna

Twitter @DDGeekWriter
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment